sane-project-website/old-archive/2000-06/0054.html

761 wiersze
23 KiB
HTML

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/loose.dtd">
<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>sane-devel: Faq - a proposition</TITLE>
<META NAME="Author" CONTENT="Laurent-jan (ljm@xs4all.nl)">
<META NAME="Subject" CONTENT="Faq - a proposition">
</HEAD>
<BODY BGCOLOR="#FFFFFF" TEXT="#000000">
<H1>Faq - a proposition</H1>
<!-- received="Wed, 07 Jun 2000 12:35:05 +0200" -->
<!-- isoreceived="20000607103505" -->
<!-- sent="Wed, 07 Jun 2000 12:35:05 +0200" -->
<!-- isosent="20000607103505" -->
<!-- name="Laurent-jan" -->
<!-- email="ljm@xs4all.nl" -->
<!-- subject="Faq - a proposition" -->
<!-- id="393E2559.83DDC84A@xs4all.nl" -->
<STRONG>From:</STRONG> Laurent-jan (<A HREF="mailto:ljm@xs4all.nl?Subject=Re:%20Faq%20-%20a%20proposition&In-Reply-To=&lt;393E2559.83DDC84A@xs4all.nl&gt;"><EM>ljm@xs4all.nl</EM></A>)<BR>
<STRONG>Date:</STRONG> Wed Jun 07 2000 - 03:35:05 PDT
<P>
<!-- next="start" -->
<LI><STRONG>Next message:</STRONG> <A HREF="0055.html">Michael Franz: "Parallel Scanners (UMAX Astra 1220P)"</A>
<UL>
<LI><STRONG>Previous message:</STRONG> <A HREF="0053.html">Jochen Eisinger: "Re: saned doesn't find sane service..."</A>
<!-- nextthread="start" -->
<LI><STRONG>Next in thread:</STRONG> <A HREF="0083.html">Bill Wohler: "Re: Faq - a proposition"</A>
<!-- reply="end" -->
<LI><STRONG>Messages sorted by:</STRONG>
<A HREF="date.html#54">[ date ]</A>
<A HREF="index.html#54">[ thread ]</A>
<A HREF="subject.html#54">[ subject ]</A>
<A HREF="author.html#54">[ author ]</A>
</UL>
<HR NOSHADE><P>
<!-- body="start" -->
<P>
Hi,
<BR>
<P>I had some trouble getting my scanner to work. I felt the need for
<BR>
a more techniical FAQ. So I reworked the faq I found on the web-site.
<BR>
<P>If you like it, send me some mail (<A HREF="mailto:ljm@xs4all.nl?Subject=Re:%20Faq%20-%20a%20proposition&In-Reply-To=&lt;393E2559.83DDC84A@xs4all.nl&gt;">ljm@xs4all.nl</A>). If I get enough
<BR>
encouragement
<BR>
I will continue to update.
<BR>
<P>ljm
<BR>
<P>1. Intro
<BR>
1.1. Thanks
<BR>
1.2. Legal stuff
<BR>
1.3. Completeness: How complete is this faq?
<BR>
2. What is Sane
<BR>
2.1. What is SANE ?
<BR>
2.2. What is a SANE frontend ?
<BR>
2.3. What is a SANE backend ?
<BR>
2.4. Is my-favorite-scanner supported by SANE ?
<BR>
2.5. Is my-favorite-SCSI-scanner supported by SANE ?
<BR>
2.6. Is my-favorite-PARALLEL-scanner supported by SANE ?
<BR>
2.7. Is my-favorite-USB-scanner supported by SANE ?
<BR>
2.8. Why is my-favorite-scanner NOT supported by SANE ?
<BR>
2.9. My scanner is &quot;TWAIN Compatible&quot;. Why isn't SANE &quot;TWAIN
<BR>
compatible&quot; ?
<BR>
2.10. The backend for my-favorite-scanner is available, but for a
<BR>
different type (SCSI, PARALLEL, USB).Can I use a USB&lt;-&gt;PARALLEL /
<BR>
SCSI&lt;-&gt;PARALLEL convertor ?
<BR>
2.11. Is there any plan to add SANE support for my-favorite-
<BR>
unsupported-scanner ?
<BR>
2.12. How can I help ?
<BR>
2.13. How can I access a SANE backend from Windows throught the
<BR>
network ?
<BR>
2.14. How can I access a scanner connected to a Windows box from a
<BR>
SANE frontend throught the network ?
<BR>
2.15. Mailing-list
<BR>
3. Buying a scanner
<BR>
4. How do I install
<BR>
4.1. Where can I download SANE ?
<BR>
4.2. OK, I downloaded the stuff. What's next?
<BR>
4.3. I can't compile SANE on my-favorite-OS. What can I do ?
<BR>
4.4. compiling sane aborts with error &quot;virtual memory exhausted&quot;
<BR>
on slackware linux with gcc. What goes wrong?
<BR>
5. It doesn't work
<BR>
5.1. It does not work.
<BR>
5.2. I compiled SANE, but my scanner doesn't show in the device
<BR>
list. Do I need extra setup ?
<BR>
5.3. Permissions
<BR>
5.4. Sane hangs or crashes when I start a frontend for sane, what
<BR>
can I do?
<BR>
5.5. Does SANE and the umax backend work on LinuxPPC / big endian
<BR>
machine ?
<BR>
5.6. I am using an AM53C974 based scsi card with a umax scanner, the
<BR>
system freezes when I start a scan, what can I do?
<BR>
6. Scanner specifics
<BR>
6.1. HOW TO do my scanner
<BR>
6.2. Microtek
<BR>
6.2.1. It gives a line: &quot;model 0x53 not supported&quot; (or other number)
<BR>
6
<BR>
6.3. UMAX
<BR>
6.3.1. I can't get the scanner to work with the SCSI-interface that
<BR>
comes by default with this scanner
<BR>
6.3.2. Will there be a support for the UMAX-parallel-port/UMAX-USB-
<BR>
scanners?
<BR>
7. SCSI problems
<BR>
7.1. What SCSI-card should I buy?
<BR>
7.2. Tekram DC390 card and the scanner hangs after the first scan
<BR>
7.3. SCSI kernel/modules blues
<BR>
7.4. SCSI bus blues: it works sometimes/almost never/partially
<BR>
7.5. I get a black area at the top of the image. What's wrong?
<BR>
7.6. My scanner was off during reboot. Do I have to boot again to
<BR>
get my scanner to work?
<BR>
8. A scan, what now?
<BR>
1. Intro
<BR>
As I bought a scanner, I tried to connect it to my my Linux-machine. I
<BR>
wanted to use SANE, but it did not work. So I looked for a FAQ to help
<BR>
me with my problems. Allas, the FAQ did not answer my question. The
<BR>
Faq seems to focus on non-technical issues. Then I tried the mailing-
<BR>
list.
<BR>
This is a compilation of some questions I found in the mailing-list.
<BR>
I left out things that seemed (to me) less relevant for FAQ-users. I
<BR>
hope it's still usefull. I also shamelessly copyed the original sane-
<BR>
faq by Nicolas de Peslouan. I plan to update is irregulary, hopefully
<BR>
once a month. If there are corrections, errors etc, mail them to me
<BR>
(<A HREF="mailto:ljm@xs4all.nl?Subject=Re:%20Faq%20-%20a%20proposition&In-Reply-To=&lt;393E2559.83DDC84A@xs4all.nl&gt;">ljm@xs4all.nl</A>). Do not send me questions-only; all I did was go
<BR>
through the mailinglist.
<BR>
1.1. Thanks
<BR>
Many thanks go to the people that actually answer the questions, among
<BR>
others:Douglas Gilbert, Nicolas de Peslouan, Oliver Rauch, Bernd
<BR>
Schroeder A complete list of contributers will apear in later
<BR>
versions. If you feel left out, send me a mail.
<BR>
1.2. Legal stuff
<BR>
Copyright ljm and others. You may copy this. No guarrantee's. etc.
<BR>
1.3. Completeness: How complete is this faq?
<BR>
Not.
<BR>
2. What is Sane
<BR>
2.1. What is SANE ?
<BR>
SANE stand for Scanner Access Now Easy. SANE is an API (Application
<BR>
Programming Interface) designed to provide access to scanners and
<BR>
other image retrieval hardware. See
<BR>
<A HREF="http://www.mostang.com/sane/intro.html">http://www.mostang.com/sane/intro.html</A> for more
<BR>
2.2. What is a SANE frontend ?
<BR>
A SANE frontend is an application program that use one or more SANE
<BR>
backends to access a scanner or camera. See
<BR>
<A HREF="http://www.mostang.com/sane/sane-frontends.html">http://www.mostang.com/sane/sane-frontends.html</A> for a list of
<BR>
currently available frontends.
<BR>
2.3. What is a SANE backend ?
<BR>
A SANE backend is a driver that handles requests coming from a
<BR>
frontend and translates them to low level requests before sending them
<BR>
to a scanner. The backend is also responsible for retrieving the
<BR>
scanned image from the scanner, and converting it to the correct
<BR>
format so that the frontend can handle it. Some backends support more
<BR>
than one scanner. To have your favorite scanner supported, you need to
<BR>
have a backend for this scanner. See <A HREF="http://www.mostang.com/sane/sane">http://www.mostang.com/sane/sane</A>-
<BR>
backends.html for a list of backends (and supported scanners).
<BR>
2.4. Is my-favorite-scanner supported by SANE ?
<BR>
First of all, see <A HREF="http://www.mostang.com/sane/sane-backends.html">http://www.mostang.com/sane/sane-backends.html</A> for a
<BR>
list of supported scanners. Note that some scanners are supported by a
<BR>
different backend than the one expected. (Manufacturer is not always
<BR>
the same as seller). If your scanner is not in this list but come from
<BR>
a manufacturer that build already supported scanners of the same type
<BR>
(SCSI, PARALLEL, USB, ...), try it anyway. If you have some success
<BR>
with this, please report it to <A HREF="mailto:sane-devel@mostang.com?Subject=Re:%20Faq%20-%20a%20proposition&In-Reply-To=&lt;393E2559.83DDC84A@xs4all.nl&gt;">sane-devel@mostang.com</A> ! (Read the man
<BR>
for the specific backend for help on how to enable extra debug
<BR>
output). Your scanner may be partially supported. (Only black/white,
<BR>
only 300 dpi, only 24 bits, ...).
<BR>
Warning : Testing a backend with an unsupported scanner *may* cause
<BR>
physical damages to the scanner. Read the documentation for more info,
<BR>
and if you want to try, keep one hand on the on/off switch :).
<BR>
<P><P>2.5. Is my-favorite-SCSI-scanner supported by SANE ?
<BR>
Supporting SCSI scanners seems to be easier than other scanner types.
<BR>
This is due to the fact that SCSI scanners share a common set of
<BR>
commands (part of the SCSI II standard). Unfortunately, the way
<BR>
scanners support this common set of commands is far from universal.
<BR>
Also, each manufacturers have their own extension to this command set,
<BR>
even when there is already some commands in the standard to do the
<BR>
work... This is why your scanner may be partially supported. In order
<BR>
to support a given SCSI scanner, one need to get SOME specs (extension
<BR>
to the SCSI II standard) from the manufacturer.
<BR>
2.6. Is my-favorite-PARALLEL-scanner supported by SANE ?
<BR>
Supporting PARALLEL scanners is (really) harder than supporting SCSI
<BR>
scanners. First of all, you need to understand that each manufacturer
<BR>
(and sometime even each scanner) have their own command set. There is
<BR>
not such thing as a common set of commands as in SCSI. In order to
<BR>
support a given PARALLEL scanner, one need to obtain the FULL
<BR>
specification from the manufacturer. This is, in fact, the real
<BR>
obstacle to a more complete parallel scanner support, because many
<BR>
manufacturers won't give specs for their scanners.
<BR>
A good few parallel scanners work under Sane. These include a raft of
<BR>
HP and Epson models. Some other parallel scanners are also supported.
<BR>
For further details please see
<BR>
<A HREF="http://www.buzzard.org.uk/jonathan/scanners.html">http://www.buzzard.org.uk/jonathan/scanners.html</A>
<BR>
2.7. Is my-favorite-USB-scanner supported by SANE ?
<BR>
Supporting USB scanners is currently the hardest part of the job. The
<BR>
first thing to understand is that USB in general (not limited to
<BR>
scanners) is not supported on all operating system. Currently, no USB
<BR>
scanner is supported by SANE. Support for USB scanners in the future
<BR>
will depend on the general USB support by the operating system. Also,
<BR>
it will depend - as for SCSI or PARALLEL scanners - on the
<BR>
manufacturers willing to give the specs on request.
<BR>
<P>USB support for HP scanners under linux is reported as going rather
<BR>
well using the HP backend without any programming modifications.
<BR>
Granted the kernel development is still ongoing but is useable.
<BR>
Although not all HP scanners are supported, the higer end models are
<BR>
(4100, 5200, 6200, 6300). (David Nelson). You can find more info. at
<BR>
<A HREF="http://www.jump.net/~dnelson/linux/usb">http://www.jump.net/~dnelson/linux/usb</A>.
<BR>
2.8. Why is my-favorite-scanner NOT supported by SANE ?
<BR>
Probably because the manufacturer is NOT willing to give the
<BR>
programming specifications for this scanner. Some manufacturers are
<BR>
really thinking that their dirty and CPU greedy protocols have to stay
<BR>
secret... may be to avoid other starting laughing at their work !
<BR>
2.9. My scanner is &quot;TWAIN Compatible&quot;. Why isn't SANE &quot;TWAIN
<BR>
compatible&quot; ?
<BR>
This doesn't mean anything ! A scanner is NOT TWAIN compatible. The
<BR>
Windows driver provided with the scanner is probably TWAIN compatible,
<BR>
so that TWAIN compatible Windows applications can use them. The only
<BR>
way to have a scanner become TWAIN compatible under other OS would be
<BR>
to have a driver for this scanner that speaks TWAIN with the
<BR>
applications. But, there is no TWAIN compatible application outside
<BR>
the Windows and Mac world. SANE developers have chosen to use the SANE
<BR>
API instead of TWAIN for scanner access. See
<BR>
<A HREF="http://www.mostang.com/sane/intro.html">http://www.mostang.com/sane/intro.html</A> for a word about this. You can
<BR>
read a TWAIN FAQ, if you want, at
<BR>
<A HREF="http://www.MentorComputer.com/TWAIN/faq.html">http://www.MentorComputer.com/TWAIN/faq.html</A>.
<BR>
2.10. The backend for my-favorite-scanner is available, but for a
<BR>
different type (SCSI, PARALLEL, USB).Can I use a USB&lt;-&gt;PARALLEL /
<BR>
SCSI&lt;-&gt;PARALLEL convertor ?
<BR>
Nobody have reported any success with this. Even if the hardware look
<BR>
the same, the protocol used to exchange data between your computer and
<BR>
the scanner DOES look different.
<BR>
2.11. Is there any plan to add SANE support for my-favorite-
<BR>
unsupported-scanner ?
<BR>
Depending on the available documentation, there might be someone
<BR>
already working on a given scanner. Watch the sane-devel mailing list.
<BR>
There is some sort of &quot;black list&quot; of manufacturers who don't want to
<BR>
give away the specs. Supporting these manufacturers' scanners is far
<BR>
from easy, because one have to reverse engineering the Windows driver
<BR>
or listen on the PARALLEL/SCSI/USB cable... [There is some plan to add
<BR>
this black list to this FAQ.]
<BR>
2.12. How can I help ?
<BR>
In several ways :
<BR>
<EFBFBD> You can start bothering the manufacturers for the specs. One more
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;letter is NEVER a loose of time ! [Someone is currently writing a
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;template letter to request the specs. It will be included here when
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;available.]
<BR>
<EFBFBD> You can start writing a backend. To avoid duplicate job, ask on the
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;sane-devel mailing list before. [Any plan to build an HOWTO about
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;writing a backend ?]
<BR>
<EFBFBD> You can test and report any success / troubles with the backends /
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;frontends.
<BR>
2.13. How can I access a SANE backend from Windows throught the
<BR>
network ?
<BR>
This is a work in progress. A Windows TWAIN to SANE translator exists.
<BR>
From the sane developing mailing list, here is an announce from Arun
<BR>
Tanksali:
<BR>
A simple but functional interface (WinSANE) is available for download.
<BR>
I have tested with a Mustek 1200 scanner. Tested with Win 95/98 PCs.
<BR>
Seems to work OK.
<BR>
Download site: <A HREF="http://www.integramicro.com/winsane">http://www.integramicro.com/winsane</A>
<BR>
Also, you can use sanecgi which wraps the text based frontend
<BR>
(scanimage) into a cgi perl script. For a running demo, try
<BR>
<A HREF="http://sps.spa.umn.edu/~hansf/sanecgi/scanner.html">http://sps.spa.umn.edu/~hansf/sanecgi/scanner.html</A>.
<BR>
2.14. How can I access a scanner connected to a Windows box from a
<BR>
SANE frontend throught the network ?
<BR>
TWAIN is not designed to allow such intelligent behavior
<BR>
2.15. Mailing-list
<BR>
There is a sanedeveloppers mailinglist. The sane-people are very nice
<BR>
and will help with almost anything. Keep in mind though, that they're
<BR>
not paid to do this. Subscribe to sane-devel@mostang.com.
<BR>
<P><P>3. Buying a scanner
<BR>
Many advices have been given on which scanner to buy. There seem to be
<BR>
some general criteria:
<BR>
<EFBFBD> Do you just want to scan or do you want to work on the backends as
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;well. If you just want to scan: take a SCSI-scanner that is
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;supported. I recomend UMAX or HP, because they have made
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;programmingspecs available. If you want to work on the backend,
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;take a scanner with sufficient documentation
<BR>
<EFBFBD> What do you want to scan: just images or transparancies, film etc?
<BR>
<EFBFBD> What are your requirements for the images: just 'nice pictures' or
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;photoquality? For photoquality you'll need at least 1200 dpi.
<BR>
4. How do I install
<BR>
4.1. Where can I download SANE ?
<BR>
Depending on you computer knowledge, you'd better download the sources
<BR>
for SANE or a prebuilt binary. Up-to-date SANE sources and (more or
<BR>
less) up-to-date binaries for several platform are available at
<BR>
<A HREF="http://www.mostang.com/sane/source.html">http://www.mostang.com/sane/source.html</A>. Please, try to use a mirror
<BR>
site near you instead of ftp.mostang.com
<BR>
Do not forget to download the bacend for your favorite scanner!
<BR>
4.2. OK, I downloaded the stuff. What's next?
<BR>
Unpack the stuff:
<BR>
tar -xvzf sane-1.0.2.tgz
<BR>
If you have a separate backend: unpack it also (often the same way)
<BR>
Go to the sane directory (cd sane-1.0.2) and type ``./configure''.
<BR>
When it finnishes, cd to the back-end directory and read the README-
<BR>
filesThey should tell you what todo.
<BR>
<BR>
(especially all the warnings, but who am I to complain?).
<BR>
Su to root (you weren't compiling all the stuff as root I hope? If you
<BR>
were: read some books about security). Type ``make install''.
<BR>
Goto the tools-directory and run find-scanner -v
<BR>
4.3. I can't compile SANE on my-favorite-OS. What can I do ?
<BR>
First of all, have you checked that SANE is available for your
<BR>
platform in the supported platforms list ? (SANE is NOT currently
<BR>
available for Windows platforms). You'd better try the latest
<BR>
available version.
<BR>
You may need to download and/or build some external programs or
<BR>
libraries to compile some parts of SANE. Have a look at the README
<BR>
file in the SANE distribution for more. You'd better use the latest
<BR>
versions of those external programs/libraries, unless the README file
<BR>
request a particular version.
<BR>
On some platforms, you may need to use a particular version of make or
<BR>
of the C compiler.
<BR>
4.4. compiling sane aborts with error &quot;virtual memory exhausted&quot;
<BR>
on slackware linux with gcc. What goes wrong?
<BR>
The optimization set by &quot;-O2&quot; makes problems, try which one of the
<BR>
following calls work:
<BR>
make CFLAGS=&quot;-g -Wall -O1&quot;
<BR>
make CFLAGS=&quot;-g -Wall -O&quot;
<BR>
make CFLAGS=&quot;-g -Wall&quot;
<BR>
5. It doesn't work
<BR>
5.1. It does not work.
<BR>
OK. Don't panick.
<BR>
<EFBFBD> First thing to do is get the latest version of sane and the
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;backend. Sane develops relatively fast, and it might be that your
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;problem is already fixed.
<BR>
<EFBFBD> Check the boot-messages (/var/adm/messages); there should be some
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;lines indicating your scanner (something like: Vendor: AGFA Model:
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;SnapScan Rev: 1.40, Type: Scanner ANSI SCSI revision: 02). If not:
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;goto the SCSI-section in this FAQ
<BR>
<EFBFBD> cat /proc/scsi/scsi. Your scanner must be there. If not: goto the
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;SCSI-section.
<BR>
<EFBFBD> Run a ``find-scanner''
<BR>
<EFBFBD> ls -l /dev/sga /dev/sg0 /dev/scanner
<BR>
<EFBFBD> sgcheck
<BR>
<EFBFBD> scanimage
<BR>
5.2. I compiled SANE, but my scanner doesn't show in the device
<BR>
list. Do I need extra setup ?
<BR>
Depending on your platform/scanner, you will need time for a coffee, a
<BR>
pizza or an extra month of holiday :
<BR>
<EFBFBD> We already told that, but ensure your scanner is in the supported
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;scanner list.
<BR>
<EFBFBD> If your scanner is SCSI, check that the SCSI card is supported by
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;your OS. You may need to rebuild your kernel to add generic SCSI
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;support.
<BR>
<EFBFBD> If your scanner is SCSI, your SCSI card often display SCSI device
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;on startup. If not, check cables and terminators.
<BR>
<EFBFBD> If your scanner is SCSI, some operating system display available
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;SCSI device on startup. Again, if not, check cables and
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;terminators.
<BR>
<EFBFBD> Read more documentations (SANE, backend for your scanner, frontend,
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;SCSI card, scanner, ...).
<BR>
<EFBFBD> Ask in the sane-devel mailing list.
<BR>
5.3. Permissions
<BR>
Anyone scanning must have read and write permissions on the scanner-
<BR>
device.
<BR>
5.4. Sane hangs or crashes when I start a frontend for sane, what
<BR>
can I do?
<BR>
Sometimes the backends that are not used make problems. Edit
<BR>
/usr/(local)/etc/sane.d/dll.conf and comment out everything but the
<BR>
backend you need.
<BR>
5.5. Does SANE and the umax backend work on LinuxPPC / big endian
<BR>
machine ?
<BR>
There are people using the sane-umax on a LinuxPPC (big endian)
<BR>
machine. Other people write that they can not scan on a LinuxPPC. It
<BR>
looks like this is a problem with the driver of the scsi card. The
<BR>
&quot;MESH&quot; SCSI card is reported to work. The NCR53C94 SCSI card seems not
<BR>
to work.
<BR>
5.6. I am using an AM53C974 based scsi card with a umax scanner,
<BR>
the system freezes when I start a scan, what can I do?
<BR>
Try the recent driver for the scsi card, take a look at:
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<A HREF="http://www.garloff.de/kurt/linux/dc390/index.html">http://www.garloff.de/kurt/linux/dc390/index.html</A>
<BR>
6. Scanner specifics
<BR>
6.1. HOW TO do my scanner
<BR>
Many scanners have small howto's Always try them:
<BR>
Agfa snap-scan: <A HREF="http://www4.tpg.com.au/users/rita_tim/snapscan">http://www4.tpg.com.au/users/rita_tim/snapscan</A>-
<BR>
ava1505-howto.txt
<BR>
6.2. Microtek
<BR>
6.2.1. It gives a line: &quot;model 0x53 not supported&quot; (or other
<BR>
number)
<BR>
Try the latest version. If that doesn't work: set 'option dump 2' in
<BR>
the microtek2.conf file and post the contents of the inquiry block to
<BR>
the mailing-list (indicated by [inquiryresult] ). This will help to
<BR>
determine which backend should handle this model.
<BR>
6.3. UMAX
<BR>
6.3.1. I can't get the scanner to work with the SCSI-interface that
<BR>
comes by default with this scanner
<BR>
Don't use that card. Get a good SCSI-card for scanning.If you want to
<BR>
<P><P><PRE>
--
(c) ljm @ acm.org. No part of this copyright message may be
reproduced, read or seen, dead or alive or by any means, including
<!-- next="start" -->
<LI><STRONG>Next message:</STRONG> <A HREF="0055.html">Michael Franz: "Parallel Scanners (UMAX Astra 1220P)"</A>
<LI><STRONG>Previous message:</STRONG> <A HREF="0053.html">Jochen Eisinger: "Re: saned doesn't find sane service..."</A>
<!-- nextthread="start" -->
<LI><STRONG>Next in thread:</STRONG> <A HREF="0083.html">Bill Wohler: "Re: Faq - a proposition"</A>
<!-- reply="end" -->
<LI><STRONG>Messages sorted by:</STRONG>
<A HREF="date.html#54">[ date ]</A>
<A HREF="index.html#54">[ thread ]</A>
<A HREF="subject.html#54">[ subject ]</A>
<A HREF="author.html#54">[ author ]</A>
</UL>
<!-- trailer="footer" -->
<HR NOSHADE>